How to read data in ZappySys Data Gateway (Outlook Mail (Office 365) Connector)
In this section we will learn how to configure and use Outlook Mail (Office 365) Connector in the API Driver to extract data from the Outlook Mail (Office 365).
Create Data Source in ZappySys Data Gateway based on ZappySys API Driver
Download and install ZappySys ODBC PowerPack.
Search for gateway in start menu and Open ZappySys Data Gateway:
Go to Users Tab to add our first Gateway user. Click Add; we will give it a name tdsuser and enter password you like to give. Check Admin option and click OK to save. We will use these details later when we create linked server:
Now we are ready to add a data source. Click Add, give data source a name (Copy this name somewhere, we will need it later) and then select Native - ZappySys API Driver. Finally, click OK. And it will create the Data Set for it and open the ZS driver UI.OutlookMail(Office365)DSN
When the Configuration window appears give your data source a name if you haven't done that already, then select "Outlook Mail (Office 365)" from the list of Popular Connectors. If "Outlook Mail (Office 365)" is not present in the list, then click "Search Online" and download it. Then set the path to the location where you downloaded it. Finally, click Continue >> to proceed with configuring the DSN:OutlookMail(Office365)DSNOutlook Mail (Office 365)
Now it's time to configure the Connection Manager. Select Authentication Type, e.g. Token Authentication. Then select API Base URL (in most cases, the default one is the right one). More info is available in the Authentication section.
OAuth App must be created in Microsoft Azure AD. These settings typically found here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/auth-register-app-v2. [API Help..]Steps to get Outlook Mail (Office 365) Credentials
Firstly, login into Azure Portal and there create an OAuth application:
- Go to Azure Portal and login there.
- Then go to Azure Active Directory.
- On the left side click menu item App registrations
- Then proceed with clicking New registration.
- Enter a name for your application.
- Select the account types to support with the Supported account types option.
- In Redirect URI, select Web.
- In the textbox enter https://zappysys.com/oauth as the Redirect URI or another valid redirect URL.
- Use this same Redirect URI in the Redirect URL - Must Match App Redirect URL grid row.
- Copy Client ID and paste it into the API Connection Manager configuration grid in the Client ID row.
- Click on the Endpoints link and copy the OAuth 2.0 authorization endpoint (v2) URL to the Authorization URL grid row. Usually it looks similar to this:
- Copy the OAuth 2.0 token endpoint (v2) URL to the Token URL grid row. Usually it looks similar to this:
- Close "Endpoints" popup and create a Client Secret in the Certificates & secrets tab.
- Proceed by clicking New client secret and setting expiration period. Copy the client secret and paste it into configuration grid in Client Secret row.
- Now lets setup permissions for the app. Click on API Permissions and on the page click Plus Sign Add Permission
- Click on Microsoft Graph API and then choose Delegated Permissions
- on Permission list page search or choose permissions as needed. We need to enable following Permissions from 3 Sections (i.e. OpenId Permissions, Mail Permissions and Users Permissions).
- Make sure you have checked below permissions (If you do not need Write feature then you can skip Write scopes)
offline_access email openid profile Mail.Read Mail.Read.Shared Mail.ReadBasic Mail.ReadBasic.Shared Mail.ReadWrite Mail.ReadWrite.Shared Mail.Send Mail.Send.Shared User.Read User.ReadBasic.All
- Click Generate Token to generate tokens.
- That's it!
Fill in all required parameters and set optional parameters if needed:OutlookMail(Office365)DSNUser Credentials [OAuth]https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0
Required Parameters Authorization URL Fill in the parameter... Token URL Fill in the parameter... Client ID Fill in the parameter... Scope Fill in the parameter... Optional Parameters Client Secret Fill in the parameter... Refresh Token File Path Fill in the parameter... ReturnUrl - Must Match App Redirect URL Fill in the parameter... RetryMode Fill in the parameter... RetryStatusCodeList Fill in the parameter... RetryCountMax Fill in the parameter... RetryMultiplyWaitTime Fill in the parameter... Login Prompt Option Fill in the parameter...
OAuth App must be created in Microsoft Azure AD. These settings typically found here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/graph/auth-v2-service [API Help..]Please refer to below API Reference (External Site) link for Application Credentials [OAuth]
Fill in all required parameters and set optional parameters if needed:OutlookMail(Office365)DSNApplication Credentials [OAuth]https://graph.microsoft.com/v1.0
Required Parameters Token URL Fill in the parameter... Client ID Fill in the parameter... Client Secret Fill in the parameter... Scope Fill in the parameter... Optional Parameters RetryMode Fill in the parameter... RetryStatusCodeList Fill in the parameter... RetryCountMax Fill in the parameter... RetryMultiplyWaitTime Fill in the parameter...
Once the data source has been configured, you can preview data. Select the Preview tab and use settings similar to the following to preview data:
Click OK to finish creating the data source.
Reading data from client application
- Firstly, to get data from ODBC data source based on ZappySys ODBC driver, in your client application, you would need to connect to ODBC source and then from the list select the data source.
Finally, to read the data just read tables/views in your app or enter a SQL statement to extract data, e.g.:
SELECT * FROM MyMessages
Outlook Mail (Office 365) Connector Examples
The ZappySys API Driver is a user-friendly interface designed to facilitate the seamless integration of various applications with the Outlook Mail (Office 365) API. With its intuitive design and robust functionality, the ZappySys API Driver simplifies the process of configuring specific API endpoints to efficiently read or write data from Outlook Mail (Office 365).
Click here to find more Outlook Mail (Office 365) Connector examples designed for seamless integration with the ZappySys API ODBC Driver under ODBC Data Source (36/64) or ZappySys Data Gateway, enhancing your ability to connect and interact with Prebuilt Connectors effectively.
Consume Data inside your App / Programming LanguageOnce you know how to load data from Outlook Mail (Office 365) Connector, you can click on one of the below links to learn the steps how to consume data inside your App / Programming Language from Outlook Mail (Office 365) Connector.
ODBC inside ETL / Reporting / BI Tools
- Power BI
- Informatica PowerCenter
- SQL Server / Linked Server
- SSRS (SQL Server Reporting Services)
ODBC inside Programming Languages
Key features of the ZappySys API Driver include:
The API ODBC driver facilitates the reading and writing of data from numerous popular online services (refer to the complete list here) using familiar SQL language without learning complexity of REST API calls. The driver allows querying nested structure and output as a flat table. You can also create your own ODBC / Data Gateway API connector file and use it with this driver.
Intuitive Configuration: The interface is designed to be user-friendly, enabling users to easily set up the specific API endpoints within Outlook Mail (Office 365) without requiring extensive technical expertise or programming knowledge.
Customizable Endpoint Setup: Users can conveniently configure the API endpoint settings, including the HTTP request method, endpoint URL, and any necessary parameters, to precisely target the desired data within Outlook Mail (Office 365).
Data Manipulation Capabilities: The ZappySys API Driver allows for seamless data retrieval and writing, enabling users to fetch data from Outlook Mail (Office 365) and perform various data manipulation operations as needed, all through an intuitive and straightforward interface.
Secure Authentication Integration: The driver provides secure authentication integration, allowing users to securely connect to the Outlook Mail (Office 365) API by inputting the necessary authentication credentials, such as API tokens or other authentication keys.
Error Handling Support: The interface is equipped with comprehensive error handling support, ensuring that any errors or exceptions encountered during the data retrieval or writing process are efficiently managed and appropriately communicated to users for prompt resolution.
Data Visualization and Reporting: The ZappySys API Driver facilitates the seamless processing and presentation of the retrieved data from Outlook Mail (Office 365), enabling users to generate comprehensive reports and visualizations for further analysis and decision-making purposes.
Overall, the ZappySys API Driver serves as a powerful tool for streamlining the integration of applications with Outlook Mail (Office 365), providing users with a convenient and efficient way to access and manage data, all through a user-friendly and intuitive interface.